Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Ruthless Satire?

Lately I've been thinking that the problem with the Daily Show and Colbert Report is that they aren't ruthless enough. Their parodic and talk formats seem to be keeping them from going for the jugular in very direct way. I'm not saying that Colbert or Stewart can't amount to devastating satire, but I think the current times call for someone more direct.

Instead, what we've gotten from Comedy Central is the Jeff Dunham Show. I've watched two episodes, and let me tell you, it ain't Chappelle's Show with puppets. I bring that show up because I think that was the thing about Chappelle's that made it great it in its (brief) prime. You knew he would do or say anything, kind of like Jack Bauer on 24 (also in his prime at about the same time).

I'm happy to say that it looks like Letterman might be the one answering the call. I've started watching again, and if he keeps doing stuff like this, I'll keep watching.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.