Wednesday, December 11, 2013

My True Story Email Chance at Super Stardom

Hi Ethan-

I hope this note finds you well. My name is Ariel ______ and I am a Talent Producer on the NBC television show The Voice. I came across your youtube channel and was hoping to chat with you about auditioning for us if it's something that interests you? We will be having invite only industry auditions (these are not open calls) in various cities over the next few months.  I would love to discuss the opportunity and process with you further, my contact details are below. 

*If you'd like to verify the legitimacy of this e-mail please feel free to visit www.nbcthevoice.com and follow the steps to contact the casting team. 

Hope to hear from you soon!

Best,
Ariel

Ariel ______
Talent Producer | The Voice


*The Voice does not permit companies or individuals to charge or take money from any potential auditioners, misrepresent yourself or organization as an employee or affiliate of The Voice, advertise, use The Voice logo or hold auditions without approval of The Voice.  Thank you.*


Hi Ariel,

This is something that interests me tremendously! However, I am not the Ethan Thompson you are looking for. I am Ethan Thompson the guy who is a professor of media studies, not Ethan Thompson the guy who sings. 

Actually, I do a mean karaoke version of No Sleep Till Brooklyn, but I doubt that will get me far on The Voice. I will say, though, that I have seen a terrible rap video by Ethan Thompson the guy who sings, and I think my skills trump his, so if he makes it on The Voice, I will happily appear to battle him.

Unfortunately, Ethan Thompson the guy who sings does not do a good job of proofreading how he writes his email address, and he did indeed put MY address in one of his videos. I am not sure what his correct address is. 

Believe it or not, I actually teach classes in television studies and I have a new book called How to Watch Television. My students and social media peeps have enjoyed this episode tremendously, as have my wife and kids, who are all big fans of The Voice. 

If you really need an Ethan Thompson, I'll be glad to try out. But I think you probably want the other guy... I also have an 8 year old aspiring pop star who would love a shot, so keep us in mind.


Dr. Ethan Thompson
Associate Professor
Dept. of Communication & Media
Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi

Hi Ethan,

Such a great e-mail from you! I do apologize for the error but we are thankful for the support of your family, friends, and students!  If we're still on the air by the time your daughter is 15, feel free to get in touch ;-)

All the best,
Ariel

No comments: