Monday, April 16, 2007

After one week of resistance, I broke down last night and re-subscribed to HBO. I couldn’t download the new episodes of the Sopranos as easily as I hoped, so I’m back onboard. And it’s great as well. I’m showing last night’s episode in class today, along with the Tom Ford/Jeff Koons episode of Iconoclasts. It’s “quality TV” week, and next week is “postmodern TV” so those seemed like good choices. I’ve been dying to do something with the Ford/Koons thing for a while.

That Cormac McCarthy book, The Road, that makes a nice companion piece to Children of Men, got anointed by Oprah’s Book Club, and now it’s the number one bestseller. I hope he doesn’t go all Jonathan Franzen elitist and balk at Oprah. I think he’s too old to do that, probably. As a matter of fact, I think I might pair The Road and Children of Men for a week in my Media War seminar next year.

My new favorite song is “Girlfriend” by Avril Lavigne. I heard her perform it on SNL, and immediately got up to download it. I tried to temper this with also downloading the new Nine Inch Nails. Not that shameless pop music needs tempering. I will quote an unnamed colleague on this: “on the one hand this a reaffirmation of our masculinity through pop connoisseurship--but no doubt it is also a reaffirmation of our lechery through pop tart connoisseurship.” There it is, indeed.

No comments: